The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

I've been working on the very beginning of the NR sequel, and so far it's split into three chapters. But I feel pretty sure (today, anyway) that I'd better get out of this writing-in-order rut pretty quickly and skip around to more important scenes. Writing in order can be so mind-numbingly deadly dull: so-and-so happened, then thus-and-such...now what comes next? Well, what comes next is probably stupid and boring and mundane. Better to leap to a fun scene and write that, not knowing where it will end up in the ms. This will present its own problems later, but the point is that I'm supposed to enjoy writing this now. Nobody's holding a gun to my head and forcing me to develop a step-by-step itinerary for my characters' journey through the book.

And hopefully at some point I'll be able to look back and see that I can skip some of the mind-numbingly deadly dull itinerary by using a simple recap or brief line or two that will quickly carry the reader to the more interesting part. May I be so lucky.

And so to write.

Blog Archive