The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sat down and started rewriting from the beginning. I can't remember why I decided to do this, just that when I pulled up the file this morning I still had no clue what to do about the middle. Maybe I couldn't stand another day of thinking. I know more about the 3 major characters now, so there's something to work with, anyway.

It went okay. I'm trying to ramp it up, move things along quicker, and get a clearer idea of the characters across. I'm trying not to explain the MC's reasoning every step along the way--knowing that after I cut all that stuff the reader will have no idea what's going on, and I'll have to figure out what to put back. I'm to chapter two, and already I'm mired in backstory, unsure what to keep in and what not. It's backstory in the character's head, which isn't great. But the problem with getting backstory in via dialog is that these people aren't talking for much of the story. They don't have time, and they don't even know each other. One just kidnapped the other, for cripes' sake; why would they be exchanging information?

Anyway. Not a bad writing day. It may end up that I was spinning my wheels, but it doesn't feel like it at the moment, so that's good.

Blog Archive