The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Got some decent headway made in the middle part w/Menelaus. This area was conceived and written as GN scenes, so as I translate them back to prose the story's not flowing the same as it did in previous parts. The parts that originated as stand-alone prose are stronger and clearer, with sharper wording--sort of like snapshots made of words. The parts conceived as GN scenes are more fluid like movie scenes, spreading over pages as well as (I think) backing off editorially. I'll have to keep an eye on this and be prepared to rethink.

I heard again today about some writer saying they're jealous of another person's writing. Every time I hear this, I either don't believe it, or think, Man, that is one twisted writer. It's easy--and, from what I've seen, almost universal--to have flashes of envy about another writer's money, fame, critical acclaim, or apparent ease of process. But why would you want to write like anybody else? That's like wanting to wear their underwear. Blech.

Blog Archive