The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

No time for my own stuff, but the power went out today so I couldn't get much w-f-h stuff done either. I read a bit of a book a writer friend lent me, and actually learned something from it. What I learned is that I'm not being neurotically obsessive and self-sabotaging in my rewrite of the swordfighting ms, because in the book I started reading, the same thing was wrong. The story started out and captured my interest, but then it went off on a pre-determined storyline. Once the predetermined storyline set in, the book went dead. As a doornail. Nothing wrong with the writing, nothing wrong with the storyline, either. It all made sense and was readable. But the heart dropped out of it. I've never seen a book do that--or if I have, I haven't been in a position to notice it before.

No, scratch that--I've seen books do it at the ending. But endings are hard, and that's a different ball of wax. This was sort of near the front. It was a brain-born plot, and it left everything that tugged at me behind, and suddenly I. Did. Not. Care.

Usually if I get bored with a book, I get annoyed and frustrated, but this time I was like, "Oh, cool," and a light went on.

Blog Archive