The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

W-f-h today.

Was thinking--dunno why--about Cynthia Voigt's On Fortune's Wheel. It suddenly occurred to me that the MC--a girl--falls in love with a guy character and devotes herself totally to him, doing his bidding and deliberately being subservient. However, she is what I'd consider to be a strong character. Not a superficial role model cooked up for the kiddies--a strong, well-defined character who knows who she is.

And now that I think about it, with all the fuss asking for strong girl characters--and strong girl characters whose sexuality is presented in a positive light--why hasn't anybody (that I know of) recommended Voigt's work? I'm talking especially about the Kingdom books: Jackaroo, On Fortune's Wheel, Wings of a Falcon, and Elske. These girl characters are real people with depth and they are self-confident doers. Voigt doesn't compromise the stories or the worlds or the characters themselves in order to shoehorn a cheap role model in. She doesn't trample on centuries of history and demean real women's choices by simplifying hard truths.

But I don't have time to get p*ssed off about this subject right now. Too much to do.

I just realized, though, that I don't own Elske. I have the others, but not Elske. This is a situation that must be corrected.

Blog Archive