The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Okay, so it looks like I've got a working draft of a first chapter. And I not only got a decent working draft of chapter two, I actually am pleased with the first part of it. The second part, unfortunately, doesn't have a clear idea of what it's doing, but right now I don't feel that going over and over it again will help me figure it out. I think I should move on, and maybe later when I come back I'll have clearer vision.

The problem is that since chapter two ends without a clear, strong direction, I'm once again at a loss as how to proceed. At the moment, my theory is that this is because chapter three heads back into plot-driven territory. Stuff happens because that's what the plot is. See, chapter two was transitional, so I had to pick over alllll the things that could be brought out in it, character and backstory-wise, and figure out which ones to use. Chapter two was all about the reader learning info. But chapter three is about the characters learning info.

I don't know what to do now. All I know is, I don't want to spend a huge chunk of time rewriting blindly, hoping something will fall into place by sheer luck. Should I try skipping chapter three for now, and move on to something I have a stronger feel for? Or should I back off and think about chapter three until it becomes clearer to me? Which is best? I just wish I could move forward at a semi-constant pace, with more of an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Blog Archive