The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Writer friend reminds me: in this ms, at least, a place is just a place. It means nothing unless it means something to the characters. I need to carve this into my desk. I can describe the daylights out of something, but without the emotional connection, it's boring and a waste of space.

Some other writers can describe, but it's just not my thing. It even bores me while I'm trying to do it. That should be a clue right there. I don't know why I can't let go of this. I suppose it's part of getting the world set in my head.

But it also speaks to chapter endings and hooks. For me, perhaps it's better not to end on "And so the door opened...", but on "The door opened and he cringed," or "He cringed as the door opened." Well, that's not a good example, but the main idea is: people not things, people not things, people not things. I must try to drum it in so I don't get sidetracked.

Blog Archive