The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

With the chapter I'm working on now, once again it's a case of figuring out where to start. I can start in-scene and continue that way, with bits inserted between the dialog to explain where everybody is and what's going on. Or I can set up with narration then go into scene and stay there.

I think in a movie you'd have an establishing long shot (to say Now They Are In This Place With These People), then go into scene and stay there. In writing, that means narration then scene--but it feels weird when I try it, like all the urgency drains out during the setup. However, if I start in scene, inserting bits of setup amidst the urgent dialog feels draggy and intrusive. Not sure what to do. Keep piddling around with it, I guess.

Blog Archive