The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Worked a lot today on the latest round of changes. I'm splitting up the three traumatic events that have been clogging up the middle, and moving them farther apart. I'm still on the first one, but as I work I'm darting around, picking up threads and pieces that need to be adjusted or shifted to another place in the story, and getting those balls rolling, too. So I actually touched on the second event, and also on some things that happen after that. Am still also fine-tuning exactly where the three events go, and what their movement does to the emotional storyline. I ended up shifting something from yesterday several years into the future (storyline-wise), when it was only yesterday that I even figured out it was actually a separate idea from what came before.

Sometimes moving forward is overrated, IMO. Sometimes it's good to forget about progress, to plunk yourself down in the middle of a ms and just start doing stuff to it. Digging in, ripping out, plumping up, rearranging. Sometimes that feels very damn good. And...sometimes I guess it feels alarming and counterproductive. Today, however, it was the exact thing that needed to be done.