The reasons for this blog: 1. To provide basic author information for students, teachers, librarians, etc. (Please see sidebar) 2. I think out loud a lot as I work through writing projects, and I'm trying to dump most of those thoughts here rather than on my friends.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

W-f-h: done. For now. Probably.

Yesterday I took 45 minutes that should have been spent on something else, and worked on the background info/synopsis/whatever-it-is for the dystopian ms. I really have no idea what this side info needs to look like or how far I need to dig into it. I don't think I'll go all that far.

I was trying to think where the story takes place. This won't make any difference to the reader, but I need to have pieces of it fixed in my head if I want to move on. At the moment I've vaguely got parts of Mission Concepcion in my head for the actual "house." I haven't been there in a long time, but the place has a strong feeling to it. It was abandoned for a while--even used as a stable, I think--and parts of it have fallen down, but most of it still stands. The walls are thick so in the smaller rooms sound is muffled and it's very quiet, and also cool, and the light has a still, filtered quality, like in some Dutch golden age domestic paintings.

stairwell at Mission Concepcion

This is an outside stairway, though, so it's not quite the same feeling. This is kind of the feeling:

window at Mission Concepcion

If you put those two together, plus

ruins at Mission Concepcion

The feeling of it might be just about about right.